An 83-year-old woman in Houston, Texas recently fought off an invader in a unique way: after trying in vain to defend herself from the man invading her home, she resorted to pouring a pot of boiling water on him. And it worked.
Lillie McClendon, the victim of the invasion, reportedly noticed that something was wrong when she was in her home and noticed that a window had been opened. A man suddenly confronted her and, choking her, demanded money. She tried physically defending herself with a stick, and then turned to verbal shaming techniques by supposedly telling the intruder that he should be ashamed and by asking him “What kind of momma you got that raised you up like this?” Finally, after nothing worked, she grabbed a pot of water that had been boiling on the stove top and poured it on the man, causing him to flee the scene immediately.
This story should serve as a wake-up call for homeowners — just in the Houston area — that houses are still at risk for invasions, despite declining burglary and robbery rates in many big cities. A recent article in an online publication for the city of Fayetteville, NC — a city that has a higher burglary rate than Detroit and Oakland, CA — warned residents that the only effective way to stay protected against intruders is to install a quality security system. Some homeowners may prefer to subscribe to digital security services, but for many homeowners, simply having locks on windows and doors checked and/or replaced is a great place to start.
“This women was especially lucky that she had such a potent weapon (boiling water) on hand. If she would have had proper security on her doors and windows, the whole situation could have been avoided. If you live in an area that has a high rate of burglary, you should make sure that your home is secure and not an easy target.”
states Joe Bir, GM of Direct Locksmith Services in Toronto, ON.
Although many homeowners are now paying attention to home security systems due to the prospect of being away from home for extended periods on summer vacation, this story is an important reminder that residential safety should never be overlooked. Because unlike Ms. McClendon, not everyone has a handy pot of boiling water and tenacious attitude.